Christmas is over....now what!?

Thursday, December 26, 2013

That’s it!? It’s all over?  Within a matter of hours there are no more presents under the tree, the stockings are empty and the Christmas music has come to a screeching halt.  The stress of finding that perfect gift has passed and now we are left with lots of crumpled wrapping paper.  The New Year will be here in just a few short days and I’m just not ready! To be honest, I’m actually quite bummed that the holidays have come and gone but as they say onward and upward! To help beat my post holiday blues I decided to give myself something to look forward to…what better thing than running a race!


Go Niners! 
I looked online and found all the races taking place in my area.  One of the biggest coming to San Francisco in January is the Hot Chocolate Run.  At first I was a little hesitant because it didn’t seem like a race serious competitors would take part in(I was picturing strollers and kids with chocolate all over their faces!). Then I realized I’m not exactly a seasoned vet! Sometimes I take myself too seriously, I swear! Just because it doesn’t have “Spartan” or “Challenge” in the name doesn’t mean it won’t be hard! That’s the beauty of running; it’s a solo sport so you can take it to whatever level of intensity you want. Another reason I chose this race is because it’s a 15K or 9.3 miles.  This is an unusual distance and I love it! Not so short that I feel like I’m wasting my time, but not so long that I stress about training a ton. Yay, I’m feeling better already about not seeing Santa for another 364 days!

My Training Plan-
I’ve been running 2-3 days a week for about 3-5 miles for a while now.  This is just part of my regular routine, so I feel like I have a good base.  I try to go on a longer run (8-10 miles) once a week BUT with all the December festivities that hasn’t happened in a while.  I have about 2.5 weeks to rack up some miles and work on improving my pace.  If I was really seriously about posting some great times I would have to prep much longer but that’s not the point of this race.  I just want to lace up my shoes and go out and have a great run!

I got new shoes!
I just got the new Brook’s Adrenaline shoes and I’m excited! I needed new shoes and a little retail therapy is always fun.  I’ll be sure to let you guys know what I think because I know it’s hard to choose a good shoe.  I definitely recommend that anyone in the market to buy running shoes go to a store that will analyze your gait.  This term was introduced to me just last year, so don’t worry if you don’t know what it is! Gait is basically how your feet strike the ground when running.  It’s complicated, but put simply we each have our own style of running and there are different types of shoes for each “issue”.  The right shoe can make a world of difference in comfort and injury prevention. 

I’m not sure if any of you are feeling the same way but I hope I’ve inspired you to use fitness to brighten your spirits! Find a race near you and give yourself a new experience to look forward to. If a race isn’t something you are ready for yet, pick a weekend to run a new trail.  There is no better time than the present to make a change and challenge yourself!

Here are some links to get you started!
Find a race near you:

Find the right shoe:

Find a training plan:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. My co-worker is running that too! Sounds fun :) And I love the new shoes! I need to sign up for a race or something fun to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete