Why It's Good to Crash and Burn!

Monday, January 13, 2014


I'm a little behind on posting this, forgive me. Tons of stuff going on that I can't wait share with you soon. My year started out with some bumps and my ribs are still sore but nothing I can't handle!   

I was determined to start off 2014 doing something active.  The last thing I wanted to do was waste my day off hungover...that's the pits(as my friend Ryan would say). On New Years Eve I had my fair share of vino and blew those party horns like a crazy person then it was off to bed for my New Years Day adventure!

As you may know, I’m a road cyclist and LOVE it. I’ve met a few people recently that are into mountain biking as well and they all kept raving about it.  I figured, what the heck, why not!? What better time than a beautiful New Year’s Day in the Bay Area. 

A short car ride later, I’m all geared up and ready to take on the mountain.  Although I usually feel confident on a bike, this was a totally different feel than my road bike.  I pedal around a bit and that was it…off to the trail! Things are going great at first-I feel a little fish out of water but I push that feeling aside and pedal on. I hit the first climb and a few switch backs with a some shaky moments (eek!) but no major incidents, phew. After a couple miles of climbing I’m winded, sweaty and feeling good. Now it’s time to head down the mountain....sweet (or so I thought).  It’s scary! Flying down the mountain avoiding trees and hanging onto the bike through rough terrain-what was I thinking! I feel like I’m on the brink of losing control at any minute. I have too much pride and stubbornness to not make it happen so I push on. Just as I’m gaining a bit of confidence and far too much speed I come up on a rocky part of the trail and eat sh*t! Over the handle bars I went in the blink of an eye.  Luckily, after I caught my breath I only had a few scrapes and a bruised ego.  I finished the ride (very slowly) and called it a day. 

As scary as it was, I knew I had to get back on the mountain soon.  If I let too much time pass I might not ever get up the courage to try mountain biking again.  I had fun and love being outdoors so not giving it another shot would be a shame.  Not to mention, I had to prove to myself that I could overcome my fear.  I truly think the things that scare you the most are what you should go after! It builds character, confidence and tenacity. It’s a lesson you can apply to all different aspects of you life.  Just because you fail at something or aren’t perfect at it doesn’t mean you give up.  In fact, just the opposite is true.  Dust yourself off and try again!

A few days later I clicked back in my pedals and charged up the trail.  You better believe that I came to a dead stop about 100 yards from the spot I crashed and took a deep breath. After a few encouraging words from a friend I started my decent.  I rolled through the rocks nice and easy and on came out the other side on my bike this time! YAHOO! I was pumped and felt dumb for crashing there just a few days prior…it really wasn’t that difficult. With that part of the trail behind me I had a blast the rest of the ride. Guess what!? Now I LOVE mountain biking. 

And that folks is why it's good to crash and burn sometimes! Face your fears and remember that you can’t be great at everything right away. It takes practice and perseverance to learn a new skill.  Now my biggest issue is that I have yet another hobby to spend my money on! 
Happy Riding(and crashing)~

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Great job friend! It's good to get back up, dust yourself off, and face your fears! I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete