My First CrossFit Games!

Thursday, March 13, 2014

My heart is pounding, I'm anxious and super nervous! What brings all this on? The CrossFit games! I just started CrossFit in January and it's been such a great experience.  I have discovered new ways to set the bar higher and push me to the brink of my fitness edge. Everyday I'm challenged mentally and physically which in turn molds me into a better athlete.  When one of the coaches asked me if I was going to sign up for the games I thought he was crazy! I'm not nearly at the level of the athletes I've seen on TV(not yet anyway//wink).  After researching it more I discovered that it's a competition open to all athletes around the world.  Every week for 5 weeks a workout is prescribed that everyone must complete.  This is completely genius to me! With everyone doing the same workout at the same weight you can easily rank your performance against anyone, anywhere.  I immediately thought of my girlfriend Joy who does CrossFit in Southern Cali...all of a sudden we had a way to workout together which is something we always talk about wanting to do.  I signed up and the first two weeks have been exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.  

The best CrossFit Gym in SF baby!

14.1 
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 10 minutes of:
30 double-unders
55-lb. power snatches, 15 reps


My score-215

First of all, I could not believe how nervous I was! I tried to tell myself it was just another workout but that didn't work at all.  I haven't felt an adrenaline rush like that since my triathlon. Then....I died. This is by far the most I've been pushed in the past year.  I couldn't even count towards the end and relied on my partner for queues on when I had finished a set! Thank GOD I had just gotten down double-unders that same week, it made all the difference. But talk about feeling accomplished...once my heart rate wasn't through the roof I was happy(and sweaty). 

14.2
Every 3 minutes for as long as possible complete:
From 0:00-3:00
   2 rounds of:
   10 overhead squats
   10 chest-to-bar pull-ups
65-lb. overhead squats
Chest-to-bar pull-ups


My Score-28

Week 2 I was not quite such a ball of nerves, phew! I watched the announcement the night before and they always show a live head to head competition with the best athletes.  I was really inspired and excited to tackle 14.2.  My chest to bar pull ups are marginal at best so I knew I wasn't going to post a great score so that took some of the pressure off.  I ended up completing the 10 C2B pull-ups which was a huge accomplishment for me! YES:)

Today, 14.3 will be announced and once again my Friday afternoon will be consumed with feelings of nervous excitement.  It's like Christmas morning for CrossFitters...a day to compete against friends and yourself.  It really makes you feel like a part of something greater even if you get smoked.  That is yet another thing I love about this sport is the feeling of belonging and camaraderie with other like minded people focused on living a healthy lifestyle. I can't wait to go to the Regionals in San Jose and dream of making it next year! 
My Box-Quickly becoming my home away from home



You Might Also Like

0 comments