Is Gluten Free The Way to Go?

Friday, October 18, 2013

It seems like everywhere you turn there is an ad or article about gluten free this or that.  I hadn't really paid much attention and chalked it up to just another health food trend. That is until I recently starting adding carbs back into my diet and had severe cramping and discomfort.  On top of that I was feeling lethargic and even had a severe migraine after a carb load day which is really unusual.  I thought it was just my body rejecting the addition of those delicious calories but my gut told me it might be more than that(literally!). I started to do more research and to my surprise I discovered that it may be due to a gluten sensitivity!


I have suffered from Ulcerative Colitis since I was a teenager. This is a digestive disease that affects the colon and can cause anything from minor discomfort to hospitalization.  I noticed when I introduced whole grain carbs back into my diet that my symptoms flared up.  According to the articles I've read gluten does appear to aggravate the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis .  Now my interest in this whole "fad" has been peaked...maybe there really is something to this!

I decided to experiment and try going gluten free for at least a week.  So far I feel great and my colitis symptoms have subsided.  I'm so happy that by being so in tune with my body I may have discovered a way to improve my quality of life drastically! To my surprise it's relatively easy to avoid gluten if you eat clean and read ingredient labels.  Gluten is found in wheat, barley and rye.  Some gluten free carbs include sweet potatoes, quinoa and brown rice.  Those carbohydrate sources were already incorporated in my diet, so the transition has been relatively smooth.  It is taking a bit more effort of course but well worth it!

Do you think you might have a gluten sensitivity? Here are some articles that I found helpful:
http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Create-Your-Gluten-Free-Sports-Diet.htm

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/10-signs-youre-gluten-intolerant.html

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/Gluten-Sensitivity-Symptoms.htm

If you would like to read more about Ulcerative Colits visit the CCFA website.  This foundation is spearheading the research efforts to find a cure for this disease. The half marathon I ran earlier this year was actually a fundraiser for this wonderful foundation.  Check out Team Challenge if you are interested in joining a race near you!

What is Ulcerative Colitis?
http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/

Team Challenge-
http://www.ccteamchallenge.org/Register.htm

You Might Also Like

0 comments