What Motivates You? (My love for Charity Miles)

Monday, November 18, 2013


I started my fitness journey almost a year ago with no goal other than to get in shape.  Part of this "Operation: Get HOT" was running my first half marathon. As some of you may know I ran my race with Team Challenge. This group raises money for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation which is near and dear to my heart(Read more about my story here).  I was so motivated each Saturday to meet with the team to training and share this awesome experience together.  I left each team practice feeling fulfilled, energized and rejuvenated.  Finishing the race was bittersweet...although I achieved my goal I was losing those warm and fuzzy Saturday mornings(they were actually cold and foggy but you know what I mean).

A foggy team training morning at the Conservatory of Flowers


I've been digging deep lately trying to find that same drive and passion I had during this time.  I kept reading things that said, think about why you started.  I kept coming back to my half marathon and what a huge motivator that was for me.  I was training for the race but it was to raise money for a wonderful cause and it felt so good!  So it got me thinking, how can I replicate that feeling and tie together my passion for fitness with giving back to others?  That's when I stumbled upon this amazing app Charity Miles.  It's an app that donates to the charity of your choice(about 20 to choose from) every time you bike, run or walk! All you have to do is download the app, sign up with your name and email(that's it, promise) then start raising money for your favorite organization! I couldn't believe that it was so easy to give back for something I was already going to be doing.  They donate .25/mile when you run or .10/mile when you bike.  I still can't get over the fact that I am donating every time I go out to run or bike, something I would be doing anyway! To top if off, one of the charities that they support is CCFA(Crohn's and Colitis Foundation)! 
So beautiful!
Working out to be healthy should be motivation enough but let's be honest-most of us need more that that! Knowing what motivates you is essential in your fitness journey.  These motivators and goals may change and evolve as time goes on and that's great.  If you need some direction just take a step back and make sure you haven't lost sight of what keeps you happy, grounded and lacing those shoes up each day. Hopefully Charity Miles will give you the same sense of satisfaction and motivation that it does for me!

Participating charities include:


  • Achilles International
  • ASPCA
  • Autism Speaks
  • DoSomething.org
  • Every Mother Counts
  • Feeding America
  • Girl Up
  • Habitat for Humanity
  • Ironman Foundation
  • Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
  • Nothing But Nets
  • Partnership For a Healthier America
  • Pencils of Promise
  • She's the First 
  • Shot@Life
  • Stand Up to Cancer
  • The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
  • The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research
  • The Nature Conservancy
  • VisionSpring
  • The World Food Programme
  • Wounded Warrior Project



Read more about the app here-
http://www.charitymiles.org


You Might Also Like

0 comments